Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Example Set: Happy Father's Day

The man I am today has been molded by my Heavenly Father's hands and continues to be the purpose of my life and goals. I have my earthly father to thank for showing me the way through his incredible example of what it means to be a loving father, a faithful husband, and a friend. I have had two dad’s named Daryl Rice in my childhood. The one dad I got to experience up until the 9th grade and the other dad I have experienced since then. The first one was a successful businessman who traveled often, yet he always had time to coach me in hockey growing up. Unlike the rest of my family, while my dad was in the business world, I got a lot of his time…which I truly value…still to this day. My dad taught me everything I know in hockey. He is the reason why I love the sport as much as I do. I didn’t have to worry about him being at my games because he was always my coach. I took that for granted when I went to play hockey for Liberty. I had the best childhood memories of just driving to early hockey practices and games, talking about hockey, having him dress up as goalie on the driveway and me winding up as a young boy taking clappers from the slot, letting me stay up late in 95’ up at the cottage listening to the Red Wings in the Cup finals on the old school radio, making octopus pancakes with red food coloring after the Wings won the Cup in 97’, making ice rinks in the back yard staying up all night with the hose and patting down the ice with his boots, hitting golf balls off the cottage deck, “Ye Nine Old Holes”, cherry donuts at Elzingas, giving me huge but cool looking fish hooks so I would never catch anything because you hated to fish (still bitter about that), letting me close up shop early while selling golf balls in the backyard because it was too hot for me or because I just wanted to play roller hockey with Peter and Andy, but the memory I cherish the most was you tucking me into bed every night and praying with me. From a young age you taught me the importance of loving God and I am forever grateful for your leadership. You have truly taught me what it means to be a man of God.

The second dad, was the dad who left the business world to follow God’s calling on your life. From moving our family to Chicago and 5 years later moving back to Detroit to help grow what you started. The Pastor dad who never said much but what was said was always profound. The dad who always had the right things to say and who always had perfect timing in encouragement. When times were tough in college with hockey and life, you always challenged me to persevere and do my best. To always trust God and lay things down at His feet. When it was relationship problems, you always told me not to worry because God is in control of every area of my life and to just enjoy life. To just love others and do the ministry that God has called me to do. My dad wasn’t always a man of words but through his incredible example, he has led me to be the man I am today. He has always challenged me to be the best and to continue to seek Christ in every area of my life. Not only do I have great childhood memories but also I have the greatest memories together over the past 6 years. When I was home from college, both summer and Christmas break I absolutely loved driving to Munn Ice to play with Spartan Alumni at 6 am every Friday morning. I love hearing the old stories from the fellas and hearing how great of a hockey player you were. Still humble to this day even though you hold several college records including still being in the top 5 all-time point scorers in Michigan State hockey history. Racking up 225 points in 3 and a half years. Also holding on to the record of most assists in a single game when you put up 6 against Boston College on December 27, 1973. He also won the Outstanding Senior award in 1976. Not to forget playing in Grand Rapids throwing up 70 points in 46 games as a rookie including two goals in the finals, netting the game winner to win all the marbles. There also was an article I found written by one of the broadcasters for the Wisconsin Badgers in 2007. He had written an article about the Wisconsin powerplay that season which just happened to lead the league and was being compared to one of the greatest powerplay units in college hockey history. The broadcaster went on to argue that the best powerplay unit in college history was still to this day a line that consisted of Tom Ross, Steve Colp, Daryl Rice, John Sturges, and whoever coach Amo Bessone of Michigan State would allow to play the 5th role. John Sturges is quoted in the article saying, “You could have put the equipment manager out on the ice with us, we still were going to score.” I changed my number from 9 to 17 to honor him because my dad is my hockey hero. I loved having him watch my college games, the few that he got to attend because I went so far away. He was my motivation. I wanted to make him proud because of the legend that he was…still to this day, which he is too humble to talk about. I still have a text saved in my phone from January 16, 2010 that simply says, “Loved watching you play.” That was right after he traveled down to Dayton to watch my weekend games. I remember sniping the top corner and looking up to you as you stood and clapped. It was a proud moment for me. Then there was this past year when you, mom, and Brett surprised me in our Ohio tournament. I remember scoring a goal with .7 seconds remaining in the 2nd period and seeing you and Brett shaking your heads with a huge smile. I loved it. You are always supportive of me and I couldn’t have asked for a better father. This day I honor you because of the man that you are. I respect you because you have so boldly helped me in my personal relationship with God and have been an extreme blessing to my life. I hope to grow up to be like you and to be an example of what it is like to love God, love my wife, love my kids, and love others with the example you have set. I love you dad, I miss you, and I hope to do ministry together one day and push you around the rink in a wheelchair while your grandkids send slashes to the ankles. Like father like son...
Happy Father's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment