Friday, January 27, 2012

Riley's Fishing Club

I just experienced something this week that I hope no youth leader or parent ever has to go through. Riley Laymon, 17, from Charlotte, NC past away Friday, January 20th in a car wreck. He attended Elevation Church and was one of the students that I personally mentored. His family is one of the nicest, loving, God-centered, and generous families I have ever met. I appreciate Tom, Lisa, and Ellie more than they know and their constant love for me impacted my life tremendously. They had me over to their house constantly, sometimes unannounced and Lisa would have a ten-star meal prepared within the hour. Not only are they great people, parents, and friends, they are a walking testimony of what it's like to be the hands and feet of Jesus.

Riley was an incredible kid. He never seemed to stop laughing and smiling. We shared many laughs together...cheating in cards, teaching me how to hold a shotgun, making fun of my car and explaining to me how we could lift up the suspension (I still don't know what that means) all while making jokes about how his feet were sitting in a puddle of water (my car leaked), throwing the football, punching him in 'charlie spots', playing pranks at camp, yelling at strangers, messing with waiters, and teaching him the 'bush push'. He would text me stories of how he got some of his friends to fall for these childish pranks. More importantly, he trusted me. He asked me questions about life and Jesus. He asked me how to be a better witness. He left a legacy that will change the city of Charlotte forever. In fact, over 50 people accepted Christ at his funeral. The combination of the Gospel being preached with his walking testimony of love left people wanting to experience a new life with Christ. His father said it perfectly, "He wasn't fast but he had friendship quickness." Riley knew what it was to be a friend and to genuinely love people. Acts 20:18, 24 says, "You know how I lived the whole time I was with you...However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace." Life is short. Now is the perfect time to start living a life sold out for Christ for you don't know when He will call you home. Riley only lived 17 years but his legacy will live on forever. He loved like Jesus, daily. How will you leave your legacy?

No comments:

Post a Comment