Thursday, February 9, 2012

Words With Meaning

We throw around phrases of 'love' and feelings. We know the 'right' things to say and Bible verses to preach. We tell people we are praying for them and their circumstances. We have all done it, throw out these 'comfort' words but if you were to evaluate the words you say to others, do they render true? Do you prove your words of affirmation with actions? Do you live by those words of advice and Bible verses you know? Do you really pray consistently for the people you say you will pray for?

I am asking you to be a person that diligently lifts people up in prayer. If not, don't bother telling people you are praying for them. It's not hard to take 20 minutes out of your morning to cover the people you love in prayer. I started doing this my senior year of college. I wrote down all the names of my friends, family, and the ministries that I had ties too with the prayer requests they had. I posted it right next to my bed on my wall and prayed for each person every morning and every night. I challenge you to do the same. It will only benefit your prayer life and the lives of those you love. Pastor Carl Lentz of Hillsong NYC said something last week that rocked me...He said, "Don't allow the enemy to take up land it does not own. How can you occupy all streets with the Gospel if the devil occupies your street?" Wow. The devil doesn't own your life but he is constantly fighting for it. We need to fight back and it starts with prayer. In the book of Job, the Lord asks the devil twice, "Where have you come from?" The devil responds, "From roaming throughout the earth, going back and forth on it." 1 Peter 5:8 says that the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. The only time the devil fears you is when you are praying. How much stronger would we be if we lifted each other up in prayer!

No comments:

Post a Comment