Monday, September 5, 2011

Struggles

Every Christian goes through struggles of some sort. I wrote a blog earlier on Romans 12:12...joyful in hope, patient in afflictions, and faithful in prayer (you can read it here 12:12). We can know through our struggles in life that no matter what we are going through, God is with us and led us there. He is trying to teach us something. We must never take for granted or complain in our lowest of valleys because they are always tests of faith. God wants to know if you are going to cling to Him, even when things don't go our way or when circumstances seem hopeless or unfair. God is good and always faithful. Romans 8:28 says that all things work together for good for those who love Him...so we have this assurance and promise that good things are ahead, if we would only continue to trust in God. It may not make any sense why your life may seem to be falling apart but God is in control. 2 Corinthians 1:5 says, "For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows." Another encouraging verse is found in 1 Corinthians 10:13...God will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. He will provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

Sometimes though, it's tough. Honestly speaking, the trials some of us go through just seem flat out ridiculous. They seem ridiculous to us, because we don't understand. Again, my only answer for this is for you to know more Scripture. I was reading the controversial book "Love Wins" by Rob Bell and was getting very frustrated. He has some absurd questions he brings up in his book. Although, he has some good points about the love of God, he misses the sovereignty of Him altogether. I was convicted while watching a video post by Francis Chan. He brings up two passages of Scripture. Isaiah 55 talks about our thoughts are not God's thoughts and our ways are not God's ways. This is why some things do not make sense and why we don't have answers to some questions. He goes on to explain Romans 9 where it talks about the potter and the clay. The clay cannot tell the potter what to do can he? So then why are we questioning God when He allows things to happen in our lives? That right there will hit some of you hard.

When it comes to faith, even in our darkest moments, Pastor Britt Merrick is the guy to listen from. In his book "Big God" he explains the horrible experience his family went through when doctors found a cancerous tumor the size of a nerf football in his 5 year old daughter. He had an opportunity to ask 'why' and question God but he didn't. He says, "Having been fortified by the Word of God, we never had to ask why. We simply always said, 'we trust you, God'...It didn't require any great faith because we had read our Bibles and knew that our God was a big God whom we could trust, no matter what. That is what gave us a foundation, a solid footing when it seemed as if the world crumbled around us."

You see, if we just knew what the Bible said, I think we would be in a lot better shape when struggles come. God doesn't promise us understanding. He promises us peace beyond understanding (Philippians 4:7). Psalm 119: 71 - "It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees." Psalm 119:28 - "My soul is weary with sorrow, strengthen me according to your word." Psalm 119:50 - "My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life." Psalm 62:5-8 - "Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; He is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge."

Finally, I'll close with this...Psalm 46:10 - "Be still and know that He is God." The best thing we can do in the midst of our worst circumstances is just repeat Scripture, knowing that God has already dealt with our issue. God wins!

No comments:

Post a Comment