Sunday, September 25, 2011

Haiti

I have had the privilege of being on multiple mission trips throughout my life from inner city Detroit, Mississippi, and Florida to Guatemala, Africa, and Russia. The more I am exposed, the more I am blessed. There is something about seeing poverty like that first hand and being able to love on children who do not get that kind of attention. Missions for me puts life into perspective of how blessed we are to live in the States.

We just completed our Fall push the last couple of weekends getting students and adults signed up into eGroups (Small Groups at Elevation). We saw over 1,300 students and adults get plugged in. It was amazing, but with that many people signing up comes a lot of computer work and organizing, making sure people are where they are supposed to be. So on Tuesday, I entered work like I have been the last couple weeks knowing that I had a lot of stuff to do. As I was leaving the office at 5:45, I just so happened to catch a conversation with 2 ladies who were talking about Haiti and how Sean (the lead photographer at Elevation) needed someone to go along to help carry equipment. Long and crazy story short, I was told that I may be going to Haiti and to stand-by. At 8:30 PM I got a message saying that it probably wasn't going to happen because they couldn't find a flight home for me. At 10:30 PM I got a call saying that I was going to Haiti, flight was booked, and to meet at the church at 3 AM to head to the airport. Over the next 3 days I would be in Miami helping Sean with a Pastor wives dinner event and then on my way to Haiti with 7 Pastor wives from all over the country including our very own Holly Furtick. We got to visit three orphanages (including the one that Elevation sponsors) and drive around Haiti looking at the destruction that happened because of the Earthquake in 2010. Haiti, being a third world country already, left 600,000 plus people living in tents wherever they could set up. That is 900,000 people less than the original number of people that were left stranded because of the earthquake. It's tough to come to terms with the damage that was done. The Palace was completely destroyed and the famous Cathedral in Porte Au Prince was left with pretty much just the structure. That however, was not the heartbreaking part...

The orphans were thrilled to see us. The women had the opportunity to feed and serve the children at each orphanage but it was at the orphanage that Elevation sponsors where my heart was completely left in ruins. Here, while the women were serving most of the children inside, I was able to play some soccer with some of the older kids. We had a lot of fun and I love to be able to interact with kids that way. Towards the end of that visit I was standing next to a boy named Peterson who looked very sad. He was 3 years old and was wearing shoes that were 2 sizes too small. I picked him up and sat him on my lap and he shared with me his bouncy ball. Holly came over and noticed that he had a large hernia sticking out of his stomach. An easy surgery that he probably will never get to have. I'm sure that was the reason for his sad look. He was probably miserable and in constant pain. As we were leaving, I put him down and started to walk to our vehicle. I turned around to wave goodbye and there was Peterson running my way with his arms up wanting me to pick him back up. This was when my heart sank. I picked him back up for a short while, hugged him tight, and put him back down on the ground. As soon as his feet hit the ground he grabbed hold of my pants. It was in that moment that I had to fight back tears. I had to call over one of the orphan leaders to pick him up so we could leave. That picture will stay with me forever.

I love being able to witness stuff like this first hand. I think of James 1:27 - "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." I think everyone should help out with missions in one way or another and yes I believe that giving is great and a must but there is something that is worth much more than money...that is time. These kids don't get loved on. They don't get quality time. They don't get physical touch. I think the best times for children in areas of poverty are those days when they are loved...actually I think that is the case for every single human being. We all want to be loved and Jesus was the perfect example of it. I encourage all of you if you have not already to go on a missions trip to a third world country. It will put life into perspective for you and will help you understand what it means to be grateful. You will also be blessed far more than you'll ever think was possible. In fact, when going on missions, my mindset has usually been, I can't wait to serve and bless these people. But every time I leave, I end up being blessed much more by those I serve because they are far more grateful than I am and they have far less...

Photos and video by Sean Lyon...

Picture with Peterson

The Cathedral


The Palace







1 comment: