Thursday, March 21, 2013

Rebel

As a pastor's kid growing up, I unfortunately added to the stereotype. I rebelled without having a reason to rebel. I bought into the lies the devil sold and chased after meaningless pleasures. Although those mistakes have shaped the man I am today, I still wish I wasn't such an idiot. I believe many young people buy into the lies thinking the activities of the world are fun. But those lies never satisfy. Just look at the story of the prodigal son in Luke 15. The son rebelled and in verse 17 it literally says, "When he came to his senses..." The son realized that the lifestyle he was walking in wasn't fun and he was acting like an idiot. He comes up with a plan to return to his father's house. In the next several verses, we see an incredible picture of the grace of God. But before the grace could be received, the son still had to make a choice...do I continue to live like the world or will I choose Christ?

As a youth pastor, I witness students making the same mistakes. I am heartbroken over how many students would rather follow their friends to failure than stand alone in their faith with Christ. Our society makes it seem like being a rebel is cool. But a rebel is doing something that nobody else is doing. In today's culture, it seems like most students are involved in illegal or wrong activities. We claim it as being a rebel or risky or cool because we do what we're not supposed to do. But again, a rebel is doing something that nobody else is doing. A very small amount of students are living for Christ. If you want to be a true rebel, then do something that no one else is doing. How about being a rebel for Christ. It seems like very few are standing alone or standing up for what they believe, actually living to make an impact for the Gospel. It only takes one student to make an impact...

Are you willing to take a stand for Christ even if that means standing alone?

No comments:

Post a Comment