Saturday, October 8, 2011

Is Jesus Enough?

I was reading a little John Piper a couple days ago and he said something that made me drop the book immediately and re-evaluate my life and love for Christ. He said, "If you could have heaven, with no sickness, and with all the friends you ever had on earth, and all the food you ever liked, and all the leisure activities you ever enjoyed, and all the natural beauties you ever saw, all the physical pleasures you ever tasted, and no human conflict or any natural disasters, could you be satisfied with heaven, if Christ was not there?" Wow. Do I really love Jesus the way I claim too? Is my life a reflection of what He has done in and through me? When people look at me, do they see Jesus? Is my goal to make my name great or to make Jesus famous? Pastor Judah Smith closed the Newspring Leadership Conference last month with this one question..."When did Jesus become not enough?"

Often times I find myself thinking things like, well if I had his gifts or if I had that opportunity...but why don't I just pick up Jesus more? Pastor Steven says, "Somebody could win with the hand that you've been dealt." Meaning, use what God has given you because God has given you everything you need to be successful. I lack no good thing for everything I need comes from the Father. Philippians 4:19 says that God will give you all your needs according to His riches. Then you have 2 Timothy 4:16-18 where Paul explains that everyone has deserted him. But then he says something that many of us today seem to just read over and not really take literally. Verse 17, "But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength." Paul had nobody, literally. He was in prison and yet he can write Philippians 4:4, "Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!" He writes this and leaves his life as an example of one sold out for Christ because Jesus was all he needed. The great thing about God is we get to have a loving relationship with Him. Even in all my troubles, struggles, hardships, and persecutions I get God and that is enough. Are you trying to find joy, purpose, and meaning in things other than seeking to be with God? Now is a good time to evaluate. Now is a good time to fall in love with Jesus because He is all you need. Is He enough for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment