Sunday, May 22, 2011

Get Out Of The Way

I went to a nearby coffee shop for 3 hours Friday afternoon just to do some extra work. My prayer was that God would bring someone in so I could buy their drink and gain an opportunity to introduce the Gospel. Not one person came in during that time. Half way through I started to get frustrated so instead I changed my prayer to have God open my eyes to opportunities that I may not be seeing throughout my day. Within a minute the lady who co-owned the shop walked up to me with a newspaper ad about the world ending, asking my opinion. Haha, that lady was there the whole time yet I didn't even think to talk with her. My focus was not God's focus. For the next hour I was able to talk to her about life, love, purpose, and freedom. I invited her to Elevation Church which opened a whole bunch of family problems and how she wouldn't be able to make it because she takes care of her grandson who has serious anxiety issues. I showed her how she could watch sermons online and the importance of having a relationship and not religion. She wants me to help plug her 16 year old daughter into the church and how this seems to be what she needs in her life. She's not accepting or rejecting me...she's accepting or rejecting Christ. It is my job as a Christian to just be obedient and share my faith...the rest is on Christ. I look forward to continually seeking out Terry and building a relationship with her so that she may give her life over to Christ...

When the calling is significant, there is nothing insignificant. We all have different roles but it is important to buy into the system. It's incredible to watch ministry work when pride is not a factor...when everyone buys into their specific duty to help further the Kingdom. Sometimes you wonder how some people can always be so happy. Meet Larry, he's the Connection Pastor and might be the most loving guy I've ever met. He's always positive but very serious about the Word of God. He loves people to death but if you aren't making a sacrifice and serving in the vision then he doesn't waste his time with you. He loves lost people and wants them to meet Christ so badly, but if you're a believer and you're just taking up space and not giving back in terms of serving then he doesn't want you to be taking up a seat that needs to be available to someone who doesn't know Christ. The dude just gets it...which sadly many Christians do not. He is a walking example of exactly how Christ would love others and always finds the positive in everything. He seeks others with genuine care and a passion to see them turn their lives over to Christ. It is truly amazing to actually watch this guy in action. He walks the walk...daily. He opened something up for me that I always knew but it just finally clicked. It's called the 'one day' principle. Is today just another day for you? Are you just finding a routine and going through the motions? Today can just be another day or it could be the day that your positive outlook on life brings someone to Christ. The example comes from Acts 3:1-10. The crippled beggar wanted money, but what Peter and John gave him wasn't what he wanted, but what he needed. It was his 'one day'. Every day or worship experience could be someone's 'one day' to accept the Gospel...to see life change. Every time we serve, regardless of the setting, we have the opportunity to give someone our best or our left overs. In any situation or relationship for that matter we have the opportunity to give someone our best or our left overs. The end result has eternal significance. Our poor attitude, laziness, or neglect could be the result of someone spending eternity in hell. That's something I don't want on my shoulders.

My attitude has the ability to affect others in a serious way. If I want to change the relationships around me, then I must change my attitude first. Personal preference is the enemy of your destination. Sometimes 'your way' is not the best way. Sometimes my idea for something wouldn't be the best fit for reaching others for Christ in certain situations. My attitude in my preference for something needs to be positive regardless of the methods used for reaching people. If the end result is people coming to Christ then 'get out of the way' and let Christ be Christ. Too many times I find myself getting in the way or thinking I could do something. Christ just wants me to be obedient and open to what He wants to do through me. Often times humility is needed to let God work because His way is always best.

No comments:

Post a Comment